July 11th is National Mojito Day and a Black Cherry Mojito is the perfect way to celebrate!
Black Cherry Mojito
- 3/4 cup Sugar in the Raw white sugar would work too
- handful Fresh Mint Leaves
- 4 oz Lime Juice fresh or bottled
- 8 oz Black Cherry Rum
- 1 cup Black Cherries fresh or frozen
- Club Soda
- Muddle together Sugar and Mint until the mint leaves are broken up and the oils are released.
- Mix in Lime Juice and Rum.
- Shake or stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- If using frozen cherries, microwave until soft and muddle to release the juice.
- Mix together Cherries and Mojito Concentrate.
- Optional: Strain the mixture to avoid having to chew your drink.
- Fill a glass with ice.
- Pour 1/2 glass with your mojito concentrate.
- Top the glass off with Club Soda.
- Stir and enjoy.
A few years ago I was with my husband at a conference in Las Vegas. We went out to dinner at this fantastic Mexican restaurant and I ordered a Black Cherry Mojito off the menu. The drink was the perfect balance of cold & sweet to the hot & spicy tacos and salsa. Once we got home I knew I had to find a way to make the mojito for myself. It did not take long to find my favorite drink. The following year we returned to Las Vegas and the minute my feet hit the hot desert sand, I started craving tacos and mojitos (who am I kidding, before my feet left Pennsylvania soil my cravings started). We bee-lined for the restaurant, but while the food was fantastic, the mojito left me disappointed. I realized I had perfected the drink at home and thankfully did not have to wait for my once a year trip to Las Vegas to enjoy one.
Mojitos are not hard to make, they just take a few minute to put together. This recipe is great because it makes at least 4 drinks worth. So, I do the work once and then enjoy the benefits over multiple days. I leave the concentrate in the fridge (and make it clear to the kids that it is not for them). When I’m ready for a drink, I then mix the concentrate with the ice and club soda. Be careful, these drink taste like fruit and sugar! It’s easy to forget about the alcohol in them.